Binding Financial Agreements between same sex couples
Parties to a same sex couple relationship can make binding financial agreements. A financial agreement can be made either before the relationship begins at any time during the relationship or on separation. The agreement can cover matters such as:
- responsibility for expenses;
- classification of property owned by the parties as either joint or individual property;
- the categorisation of property acquired during the relationship as either joint or individual;
- responsibility for debts; and
- division of property and maintenance if separation occurs.
If you have come to an agreement without legal advice, you should obtain advice before you sign anything. Mathews Family Law & Mediation Specialists can provide you with the advice needed to make an informed decision before you enter into a binding financial agreement. We can also assist by drafting the agreement for you to ensure that it covers all the legal requirements that you may not have thought of.
Mathews Family Law is a Melbourne law firm. Please contact us on +61 3 9804 7991 to speak with a family lawyer from our law firm today. You can also send through your enquiry online now and we will contact you shortly.