Family Law Library

I have received a contravention application – what can I do?

It may be possible to negotiate a settlement with the applicant by writing a letter or attending family dispute resolution.

Where there is family violence or risk of harm to the child, negotiation is not advisable.

If you have breached an order you may show a reasonable excuse for breaching the order. For example, a very sick child (supported by a medical certificate) may be considered a legitimate reason for a parent breaching an order.

You should obtain legal advice as soon as you can.