What Are The “Circumstances” According To The Law?
1. How long you’ve been together
2. Your home – how long you’ve been living together and to what extent is it a joint home
3. Is there a sexual relationship
4. Your financial commitment to one another, ie, does one partner support the other?
5. Whether or not there is joint property. If there is, the court will ask how the property was acquired and used
6. The nature of the commitment and if it is mutual
7. Whether or not your relationship was registered (in those territories where registration is possible)
8. If there are children, the court will want to know who cares for them, makes decisions for them and supports them
9. How other people see your relationship
10. How you and your partner behave in public, ie as a couple or leading separate lives